The Blue Boar Inn was erected in 1691, built by Theophilus Lacey. 1691, if written in some fonts, shows the same number upside down. William III and Mary II had only been on the throne for three years. In 1677, the 26-year-old William, described as being humourless, surly, with a crooked nose and black teeth, married a distraught 15-year-old Mary, who at the time had a crush on an older woman. Charles II had given Mary away, and when he put the newlyweds to bed, William refrained from removing his under garments – he said he always slept with them on. Charles was having none of it and he drew the curtains around the bed saying, “Now, nephew to your work! Hey! Saint George for England!”
By the 1720s in Frome, the Town Bridge was being renovated and the Blue House was having a partial rebuild. With some left-over money, a new guardhouse or ‘lock up’ was built on the Blue House grounds, adjoining the Blue Boar Inn. It apparently replaced the Blindhouse in the St John’s churchyard.
Most communities had a Blindhouse. The one in Frome was a vault-like underground stone cell with a barred opening for concerned relatives to lower food to those interned. Disruptive, unruly drunks were often thrown into the Blindhouse, which of course had no windows, where they slept it off to sober up. When they awoke, it was so dark they thought they were blind. We thus get the expression ‘blind drunk.
By 1774 there were forty three inns on the Frome map, excluding those slightly further out like the Royal Oak, The Crown in Keyford or even The Vine Tree. The Blue Boar Inn is one of those older survivors and was much larger than it is today. The back yard of the pub was large enough to provide for coaches and carriages coming in and out of the town centre.
When the Frome police station opened in 1857, the ‘lock up’ possibly moved to the police station and the guardhouse was converted to men’s conveniences, being demolished in the early 1960s. Corner stonework may be seen today in the walls of the Blue Boar Inn.